3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33431
+1 561-237-7000 | 1-800-994-LYNN
Lynn is going greener with new initiatives
Published Aug. 29, 2011
Each year, Lynn University strives to become “greener” than the last, and this year is no exception with the new PepsiCo Dream Machine and UCar Share. These initiatives are additions to Lynn’s sustainability efforts outlined in the master plan.
The PepsiCo Dream Machine
Lynn has installed two new interactive recycling kiosks, called Dream Machines, one in the Student Center lobby and the other Old Lynn Residence Center lobby, to provide greater access to on-the-go recycling.
The PepsiCo Dream Machine recycling initiative was developed and launched on Earth Day 2010 to give more people the opportunity to recycle and make it easier to do so. The goal is to raise the U.S. beverage container recycling rate from 34% to 50% by 2018.
People who use the Dream Machine will be rewarded in 2 ways:
- When you scan your bottle and toss it into the chute of the Dream Machine, it prints out a “points” receipt and you can then go online to redeem your points for gift certificates and other rewards.
- And your recycling effort will also help support post-9/11 disabled U.S. veterans. For all the bottles and cans collected in Dream Machines at Lynn, and in Dream Machine bins and kiosks across the U.S., PepsiCo will provide support to the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities (EBV), helping “dreams” come true for these dedicated vets. PepsiCo has committed to donating $500,000 a year to the EBV, and an additional $250,000 for every 10 million pounds of material collected through the program.
Also on Lynn’s growing list of green initiatives is the UCar Share. Students, faculty and staff can now rent cars on campus, providing a convenient way to car pool and ride share to and from campus. Two cars are available - a Ford Focus and a Mini Cooper - and they may eventually be replaced with Prius hybrids to further enhance our sustainable efforts.
The cars are available 24/7 and can be reserved by the hour or day for as low as $4.95/hour, plus mileage (rates include gas and insurance). This will help reduce parking congestion and improve air quality.
Additional Green Initiatives include:
- placing recycling bins all around campus
- installing a reclaimed water system that allows the university to stop pumping water into its lakes from South Florida Water Management by 2013 because it will have the ability to use reclaimed water from the City of Boca Raton
- launching a new program where students can rent Lynn bikes for free
- saving on electricity and products used on campus